CSV File Format
You use CSV files to import users into your organization. Every CSV file needs to adhere to a specific format in order for the import to be successful. Before you import, it is useful to review the following guidelines about creating CSV files.
Important: If it is not the first time importing users from a CSV file, it is vital that you first export your users. This is to ensure you have the latest information in the CSV file as details such as phone numbers may have been updated. You can then edit this latest CSV file with any new information or users, save it as an UTF-8 or UTF-16LE Encoded spreadsheet, and import back into your Cisco WebEx Organization.
- The CSV file supports both UTF-8 and UTF-16LE formats
- Every column in the CSV file should have a header with a valid name. For more information about valid column names, see CSV Fields.
- If you do not want to enter information into a field, you can enter the character "-" and it is imported into the database as an empty field. You can only do this for optional fields. If you input - in a mandatory field, an error is reported on import. Do not use the value N/A.
- The name of a column should typically correspond to the name of a field in the user's profile. For example, the First Name field in the user profile dialog box should have a corresponding column named firstName in the CSV file. See the graphic below for an example of this one-to-one relationship between the field name and the CSV column name.
- You can have optional or invalid column names in your CSV file. However, these columns are skipped or re-ordered during the import process.
- The status of the import is reported in the CSV file that replicates all the information from the input file, with a specific column indicating the status.
- If a user with the same email address is already in Cisco WebEx, the existing record in the database is overwritten with the value in the CSV file.
- Updates will replace the previous settings. For example, if new roles are specified for the user, the previous roles are replaced.
- The import process runs in the background. This enables you to continue performing other Cisco WebEx Administration tasks, such as configuration.
- After the import is complete, a confirmation email is sent to the person who initiated it. The notification includes a summary of the import results.
- The Organization Administrator can cancel an import process that is in progress.
Important: Information is imported as provided in the CSV file. It is vital to ensure all information is correct. For example, if a phone number is provided without the country code, auto call-out in IM or meeting will not occur. You must then modify the CSV file providing the correct country code and import the CSV file again.
The following graphic illustrates the one-to-one relationship between CSV column names and user profile fields.